Thursday, November 22, 2012

Week 32: Lazarus, come out!

Day:  223          Verses Memorized:  536          Working On:  Review 1-11

The John Squad
Please click here to chart your own progress - even though I'm the only one still doing this
 
My Progress:
Chapter 11 is done!  I am astonished that I was able to memorize this entire 57 verse chapter in one week.  I worked intensely the past several days and am proud of this accomplishment.  Initially, I had been intimidated by this chapter because it is rather long with a lot of dialogue, so I was thrilled when it all came very easily to me.  It was definitely a God-thing.  Once again, I am going to commit myself to a week of review.  I am going to resist the temptation to peek at Chapter 12 and will spend significant time this week reviewing previous chapters.  I really mean it.  That's what I'm going to do.  For real.  Review time.

 
 
 
Some Thoughts:
I love Jesus.  He just gets more and more amazing as I memorize each chapter.  His power and authority over life, death, and everything in between is something my mind is just unable to grasp. I can't imagine being there that day, watching a dead man walk out of his tomb. The joy of that reunion must have been remarkable.  My absolute favorite verse of this chapter:  "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."  11:44.  I guess the reason I like it so much is because I know that I was dead to sin and lying in my tomb.  Then came Jesus, my knight in shining armor, calling me out.  He freed me from death, removed my grave clothes, clothed me in His righteousness and gave me life.  (As I proofread this paragraph, I see a lot of "Christian-ese" and realize that many, including myself, have probably said words similar to these zillions of times.  But for me, this time, it's vastly different.  I have a connection with my Savior now that is unparalleled to any relationship I've had in the past.  Each word and verse takes on new significance as He reveals Himself to me in deeper and more meaningful ways.  He has truly opened my eyes after living in blindness.  What a wonderful Savior.)

I'm sad that as I move on to Chapter 12, I have reached the end of Jesus' public ministry and am standing at the beginning of the passion.  I am really not looking forward to memorizing the next several chapters, but I know that God still has a lot of learning and growing in store for me.  I know that He wants me to do this and I will continue in obedience and pray that He will keep guiding me as I go along.

This Thanksgiving I have more to be thankful for than ever before.