Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week 30: The Good Shepherd

Day:  209    Verses Memorized:  460    Working On:  Finalizing Ch. 10

The John Squad
Please click here to chart your own progress - even though I'm the only one still doing this
My Progress:
I was so hoping to finish Chapter 10 this week but I didn't quite make it there.  I am back on track after Hurricane Sandy and have been more consistent in studying each night.  There is one paragraph in this chapter that I am having a heck of a time memorizing, but I'm getting through it.  I thought Chapter 10 would go very quickly, so I'm a little frustrated that it took me this long to learn it.  Unfortunately, I allowed myself to glance through Chapter 11 and I am terrified as it is completely filled with dialogue.  Argh!

Some Thoughts:
I just love the image of the Good Shepherd.  I have raised all sorts of animals throughout my life, so I can definitely relate to the metaphor that Jesus is using.  I've never raised sheep, but we've had goats, chickens, and pigs.  The pig is freshest in my mind right now since we just butchered it last weekend.  Here are some thoughts about "Hammy" as I relate her to my own Christian walk.  (Now who else has a blog where they compare pig farming with spiritual growth!  ...Only here, folks!)
  • First of all, we obtained the pig for a purpose.  We had a plan for it from the very beginning.
  • We cared for the pig.  We knew what was best for her.
  • We faithfully met the pig's needs whether she thanked us or not.
  • When she kicked her water over ten times a day, we would refill it 11 times.
  • When she got hot in the middle of summer, we made her a mudbath pool.
  • It gave us joy to watch her grow and enjoy the environment we had made for her.
  • When that stinking pig got out of the fence, we chased it all around the neighborhood to get her back where she belonged.  And even though she was pretty angry with us, she felt better once she got back inside the safety of her fence.
I've never raised sheep before, but I know from my Pastor's sermons a lot about them.  First of all, they're just so darn stupid and completely dependent upon the shepherd for everything.  They wander all over the place with no sense to the dangers around them.  It's easy to sit here and be a human being looking down on them.  I feel so "superior" to them.  It's a little harder to look at it the other way and realize that I am the sheep and Jesus is my shepherd.  Even when I think I know what I'm doing, I'm really wandering aimlessly.  And even though I feel like I'm in control of things, it's really God who is providing for me.

I'm so thankful for His patience and how He watches over me.  I love how this chapter says again and again "and I lay down my life for the sheep."  It's just the most beautiful picture of His love for us.

All I know is, I never would've laid down my life for that darn pig...