Thursday, October 11, 2012

Week 26: This is REALLY Hard

Day:  181          Verses Memorized:  430          Working On:  John 9:35-41

The John Squad
Please click here to chart your own progress - even though I'm the only one still doing this

My Progress:
I am moving right along and almost finished with Chapter 9.  Hopefully I will polish that up this week and be able to set aside another week for review.  Unfortunately, the further into the book I go, the harder it is to remember previous chapters.  I am getting all mixed up.  I had the opportunity of being in the car by myself this week so I tried to listen to the CD and was disappointed with how many mistakes I was making.  Chapter 6 is just treacherous.  Chapters 1, 2, 3, and most of 4 are great.  Then it's all downhill from there.  I just wonder where all these verses will be in 10 years.  But each day has enough trouble of its own, right?  So I will continue to focus on spending time memorizing each day and celebrate my victories.

Some Thoughts:
I think that this chapter is right up there as one of my favorites (which is surprising because initially I was aggravated that it was 41 verses of a single healing story).  I still love Chapter 2 because we see Jesus' power revealed.  And I love this chapter because we see how life-changing that power can be.  This is one of those chapters that is just so rich with truth and promises of God's love.  I truly never would've even noticed if I hadn't take the time to memorize it line by line.  Earlier, I would've read through this chapter and thought, "okay so Jesus healed a blind man."  But now that I've memorized it, I am in awe at how many observations God has shown me. 
  • Jesus performs a miraculous healing of a man born blind.
  • The healing requires initial faith and obedience (the man has to go and wash).
  • Immediately people begin to doubt his testimony.
  • My favorite verse:  "whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know.  One thing I do know.  I was blind but now I see!"
  • The man doesn't provide any answers.  He just tells his story.
  • He suffers for his beliefs and is thrown out of the synogogue after they hurl insults at him.
  • Jesus seeks him out a second time and reveals himself to the man.
  • The man immediately replies, "Lord, I believe" and worships him.  (I love that part.)
I just love, love this man.  Unlike the guy at the pool in Chapter 5, this man embraces Jesus and acknowledges Him as his Savior.  What a beautiful picture of how Jesus heals our broken lives.  How He heals our blindness and gives us sight.  How He pursues us and desires to restore our hearts to a right relationship with the Father.  What a beautiful, beautiful story this is.  I am so thankful that my life and attitude have changed after memorizing it.