Thursday, June 28, 2012

Week 11: Getting Aggravated

Day:  75          Verses Memorized:  196          Working On: John 5: 31-47

The John Squad
(Please click here to chart your own progress!)


My Progress:
I am still making steady progress through Chapter 5, although I still find it quite difficult.  I'm up to a passage where Jesus is doing a lot of theological talking and it's just plain hard to remember.  I'll be happy when this chapter is over, although I peeked at Chapter 6 and it seems pretty similar. 

Some Thoughts:
I was thrilled to be done with that Pool of Bethesda guy.  I couldn't stand thinking about him and it was unbearable to think that he was a representation of me.  Unfortunately, the next passage led me to many of the same stinking thoughts about myself.

I just get so annoyed with the Pharisees when they don't accept Jesus.  They argue their petty little things and completely miss the point of everything.  I kept pausing at the verse, "For this reason, the Jews tried all the harder to kill him."  I would just get mad at them for persecuting and rejecting Him.  Then I started asking myself, "for what reason do I kill Him?"  My own disobedience and sin nails Him to the cross on a daily basis.  I would even say that I am worse than the Jews in this passage.  At least they openly rejected Him.  It was clear where they stood.  But me - I am totally different.  I claim to be a child of God.  I profess that I am a follower.  Then, I turn around and mock Him by giving in to sin.  I say that I am on His side, and I betray Him.  Frequently.

All these thoughts have the potential of leading me down a road of unforgiveable guilt and failure.  I admit that I did feel that way for a couple days when I was learning about that guy at the pool.  But now, I am just all the more thankful for God's wonderful grace and mercy.  I have a deeper understanding of the Gospel and the magnitude of what Jesus did for me.  I am humbled.  I pray that this will be my permanent attitude.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment