Thursday, June 21, 2012

Week 10: A Humbling Realization

Day:  68          Verses Memorized:  184          Working On:  John 5: 19-30

The John Squad
(Please click here to chart your own progress!)

My Progress:
Chapter 5 is not easy.  It is probably the hardest one I've encountered thus far.  Not only are there odd phrases and varied repititions, but the content has been making me so angry that I easily get distracted while trying to memorize.  Nevertheless, I am trucking along and happily approaching 200 verses.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm trying to celebrate my victories.

Some Thoughts:
Okay so this guy is just the biggest jerk in the universe.  Chapter 5:1-18 describes the healing of a man at the Pool of Bethesda.  And I just can't stand him!  I never thought that I would have such a strong and powerful reaction against a person from centuries ago, but this guy is a real piece of work.

Things I notice about the man:
  • He is the ultimate victim.  Just lying there for years. 
  • When asked if he wants to get well, he answers with an excuse.  Furthermore, his excuse blames other people for not helping him!
  • He shows absolutely not a single ounce of recognition or gratitude for his miraculous healing.
  • He goes and tattles to the Jews about Jesus!  The bozo throws Jesus right under the bus!! ARG!
Things I notice about Jesus:
  • He approaches the man and offers His help, even though the man wasn't seeking it.
  • When the man answers his question with an excuse, Jesus heals him anyway.
  • Jesus stuck His own neck out by healing the man on the Sabbath, knowing that it would stir up controversy.
  • Later, Jesus seeks the man out and approaches him at the temple.  He checks up on him.
  • Jesus tries to point the man in the right direction by advising him to turn from his sin.
My shocking, humbling, and slightly depressing realization:
Sadly, I am that man!

Every single time I read through this passage and worked on memorizing its verses, I struggled to get through it because I just began to dwell on how angry I was at this guy for his attitude.  And every single time I pinpointed my source of anger, God would remind me to take a closer look at myself.  My pride would not allow me to fully grasp the depth of this concept until I asked my Pastor his thoughts on the passage.  (I am so deeply thankful that I have two wonderful Pastors who are Biblically grounded in their teaching and always willing to offer their help and guidance.)  He emailed me the following:

I don't like this guy either.  That was what I dealt with in the lesson on this passage.  The problem is that guy is us!  That is what I believe God wants us to see from this story. Jesus has done so much for us we can't even begin to understand it all, yet we throw Him under the bus every time we do things our way instead of His way.  We see ourselves as victims of sin instead of victors over sin.  We quit trying because we can't seem to conquer the 1 or 2 sins that affect us the most.  We try to do things by ourselves instead of being totally dependant on Jesus.  The end result is the world sees Jesus as meaningless because we aren't what we should be.  It is an awful story that depicts how depraved we are when we aren't totally focused on Jesus.
I still don't like the guy.  I like the guy he represents in me, even less!

Well... that about sums it up!





1 comment:

  1. Wow! I never liked that guy either! he sounded so whiny when Jesus asked him if he was going to be made whole.
    And then you had to go and make me see my self! (gulp ) All I can say is that it really put a spot light on my heart.
    Sitting here with that proverbial deer in the headlight look, I heard this voice inside me saying "your busted" knowing that I have been guilty of the same thing.

    Wow! All I can say is wow! that really hit me and I thank you, God bless you! I don't want to be that guy anymore!

    ReplyDelete