Monday, April 2, 2012

No Excuses!

 

Believe me, I understand the "large-ness" of this task. I know what it's like to hear for the first time that you're being challenged to memorized an entire book of the Bible. But I am committed to pursuing this goal and will not allow Satan's lies to get into my head. Below are a few of his favorite lies that we need to stop using as excuses!

"I just don't have that kind of time." Well what the heck are we doing all day? I have 4 small children and I UNDERSTAND what it's like to be busy! Our fallen world has a multitude of responsibilities and distractions. But how on earth can we afford to go through this life without being armed with God's Word? Let's take a minute and look - I mean really take a good, hard look at the way we spend our time. Especially since prayer, reading His Word, and memorizing Scripture does not require extended periods of time (although all the more wonderful when we are able to linger in His presence). Are you really going to tell God you're too busy for Him?

"It's impossible for me to memorize much at my age. Old people just don't have the brain ability anymore." Now I'm not what one would consider "old", but I am indeed able to relate to difficulties learning. To all our Seniors out there, I would say, please try! What about "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me?" Take hold and trust in His promises! He is on your side and wants you to do this so you can be certain that He will equip you for what He has called you to do. No, you might not memorize a chapter a time, but don't you want to be obedient and persist at putting His Word into your heart? Just as your body slows down and it takes longer to walk through the grocery store, your mind slows down and it takes you longer to memorize things. Well you didn't give up buying groceries, did you? So what if it takes a little longer to get the verses down! Take your time and keep plugging away at them - who cares how long it takes? Would you rather your heart be completely void of His word or have your Savior smiling down at you with pleasure for your efforts?

"Why bother doing all that work to memorize it when it's right here in my Bible or literally a click away on my handheld device?" You need to go back and read my page about Why Memorize Scripture. It's about so much more than just 'having access to information.' Memorizing Scripture is a beautiful, intimate process through which the Holy Spirit communicates with us. He spends time with us, He speaks with us, we grow infinitely closer as His Words take root in our hearts. His Words change us. They change our hearts and minds and give us the strength to resist conforming to the pattern of this world. His Words are the bread of life. Let's feast on them together! There is nothing else I'd rather deposit into my heart than the sweet, life-giving words of my Father.

Don't let Satan lie to you. God has asked you to meditate on His word, to put it into your heart. After all He has done for us, is that too much to ask?