Thursday, January 10, 2013

Week 39: Forty-Nine Times

Day:  272          Verses Memorized: 740          Working On:  John 18:1-11

My Progress:
Well, I suppose I finished Chapter 17.  By "finished", I mean that I think it's about as good as it's going to get.  I was spending close to an hour for every 2-3 verses and the frustration was killing me.  I understand that this whole project will continue to be a work in progress, so while 17 is still a little shaky, I don't feel guilty about moving on.  Chapter 18 looks easier to memorize because it is more of a story format.  However, there is an awful lot of dialogue which means here comes the "said, replied, answered" confusion.  It is also 40 verses, so I don't expect to do it in a week. 
Some Thoughts:
Don't waste your time reading some chick's blog on the Internet.  Turn your computer off and go read John 17.  Then, read it again.  After that, read it a few more times.  I guarantee that each time you read it, God will show you something new, and you will stand in amazement at the Savior you have.

Chapter 17 is completely mind-blowing.  And I know I'm only scratching the surface of understanding it.  This is one of those chapters that you could probably spend a year studying.  You could probably write an entire book about each and every verse.  If someone living in some distant tribe came across a torn page of a Bible and it was John 17, it would be enough spiritual food for a lifetime and more than enough to bring them to a saving faith in Christ.

49 times.  That is how many times Jesus refers to us in His prayer the night He was arrested.  And the prayer is only 26 verses long!  49 times He refers to "they, them," or "those you have given me."  His entire focus was on His disciples and on US!  I just can't begin to comprehend that kind of love.

"Now this is eternal life:  that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."  That about sums it up!  Since studying this chapter, my prayer-life has completely transformed.  I no longer barge into God's presence with a chip on my shoulder and a list of requests in my hand.  My prayers are no longer for the things I want.  My prayer is that I will know Him.  Every other request is filtered through the desire of wanting to know Him more.  Life is all about knowing who He is, basking in His presence, rejoicing in His love, resting in His peace.  Oh, how I want to know Him more.

"I pray for them."  How Jesus was praying for anyone else other than Himself is unfathomable.

"I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you.  Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name."  The foremost thought on His mind was His people.  Here, He is praying for His sweet disciples' protection.

"I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message."  Jesus prayed for me!

"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one."  Jesus gave us glory?  The glory that God gave Him?  Now, I am just beginning to understand a small measure of God's infinite Holiness, and how His glory is a reflection of that Holiness.  To even think for a moment that I would have any share of this amazing, perfect, beautiful glory that is a manifestation of God's Holiness...  I just have no words.

"...to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."  God loves us as He loved Jesus.  Again, no words.

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am..."  Jesus prayed that He wants me to be with Him.  How do you even punctuate a sentence like that.  Jesus prayed that He wants me to be with Him!  Jesus prayed that He wants me to be with Him?  Jesus prayed that He wants me to be with Him.  Jesus prayed that He wants me to be WITH Him.  How do you even comprehend a portion of what that means let alone assign words to express the magnitude of its meaning.

"I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

I like communicating with others.  I find pleasure in putting my thoughts down on paper.  I feel somewhat well-spoken, as though I can easily convey my thoughts and feelings to others.  But this...  I just have no words.  I can't even begin to comment on the significance of the words in this chapter.  There is just nothing to say. 

My prayer for you, reader, is that the Holy Spirit would open your eyes and heart the way He has opened mine and that you will be able to experience the awe-inspiring, magnificent, Holy and glorious Savior that folded His hands of flesh and prayed for you and me that we might all be truly united in His infinite glory.







1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on Jn 17 : )

    Thanks for the comment and encouragement, it truly is a blessing.

    I am now practicing with a hand held microphone and realized its not as easy as it looks. I will most likely give more details in the blog. but I am still working on it, but its taking me a lot longer than I had anticipated.

    Thank you for the Godly, inspirational insight that you keep sharing with us as you continue to memorize.

    Your almost finished! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete