Thursday, December 13, 2012

Week 35: Really Dirty Feet

Day:  244          Verses Memorized:  623          Working On:  Review

The John Squad
Please click here to chart your own progress - even though I'm the only one still doing this
My Progress:
I am finished with Chapter 13 and will move onto Chapter 14 after a couple days of review.  I was hoping that I might be able to do about a chapter a week now that these last several chapters are all around 30 verses.  However, I glanced over the next couple chapters and it seems that Jesus is doing an awful lot of theological talking which seems like it will be hard to remember.  Sometimes I have a hard time connecting the ideas in my head so it requires a lot of extra time and study to really understand what is being said. 


Some Thoughts:
I just can't get over the way in which Jesus treats Judas in this chapter.  He has known all along who was going to betray Him.  He knew right from the beginning.  Yet, none of the disciples had any clue, which leads me to believe that Jesus treated Judas just like all the rest, with nothing but love and respect.  In this chapter, Judas is still present during the washing of the disciples' feet.  Can you imagine stooping down to wash the feet of the man who was about to betray you?  And going further, after Jesus' heart becomes troubled and He begins talking about being betrayed, He dips the bread in the dish and gives it to Judas.  I never thought that much of this verse - I always thought it was just His little symbolic way of pointing out who the traitor would be.  But in my studies, I have learned that dipping bread in a dish and giving it to someone indicates a high honor and respect for the person.  Jesus was humbling Himself and honoring JUDAS! 

"A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."  Another verse I have known for most of my life.  But after meditating on these past few chapters and gaining a deeper understanding of what His love is really all about, I am realizing how vastly far I fall short of this command.  I can't imagine loving anyone to depth that Jesus has loved me.  

"Then Jesus answered, 'will you really lay down your life for me?'"  I can't help but see the paradox here.  Peter is promising to Jesus that he will lay down his life, when really, in about 24 hours, it would be the complete opposite.

"My children, I will be with you only a little longer".  Just a few short chapters ago, Jesus was telling the Jews this exact same statement.  I just love how He adds "my children" and talks to His disciples with such love and leadership.  Even as His own heart is troubled and He is about to face the most awful death and rejection, He is ministering to His disciples rather than focusing on Himself.  Astonishing.

"Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later."  Again, just a few short chapters ago, He said the same thing to the Jews only with a different ending.  "I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin.  Where I go, you cannot come."  8:21.  So the Jews will look for Him and die in their sin because they cannot come where He is going.  But His disciples, while they cannot follow now, will follow later.  I am happy to be among the disciples who will follow later rather than one of the Jews and die in my sin!

As I reflect on this chapter and see Jesus' humility and servanthood, I am in awe once again even just catching a glimpse of who He is.  I just can't comprehend this kind of service and ministry to others, especially ones like Judas.  I am beyond thankful that Jesus chooses to wash my feet even though I betray Him each time I sin. 

Thankyou, Jesus. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I feel honored to have you share in my joy, especially since I admire you so much for having done this yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey , I wanted to mention on a side note, every time you post a video your hair looks longer. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Well hopefully I will be finished memorizing this book before it reaches my knees!

      Delete
  3. Hello Heidi,
    On the off-chance that you'll come across this question...
    I don't want to get too consumed by the version that I should use to memorise John but I'm sure you gave some thought to the most accurate / sensible translation and so just wondered what version you used?
    Cheers,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim! My Bible is written in the NIV (old 1984 version) so I used that because I like to memorize where the verses are on the page so I can find them real fast. I know a lot of people enjoy memorizing in the King James because it sounds more impressive, but I have a hard time connecting with that language. Nowadays, I often find myself using the NASB or HCSB as I have found them to be very accurate translations. Overall though, I would say it doesn't really matter which version you choose - as long as you are immersing yourself in it long enough to allow God to work. And He will! If you show up, He'll show up and He'll be speaking to you in spirit and in truth. At that point, minor differences in word choice won't matter because the Spirit will be communicating directly to your heart.
      I hope that helps and I'm glad to hear that you are on a journey of memorization. Best wishes to you!

      Delete