Thursday, August 2, 2012

Week 16: 32.3%

Day:  111         Verses Memorized:  284        Working On: Reviewing Chapters 1-6

The John Squad
(Please click here to chart your own progress!)

My Progress:
Wahoooo!  I finished Chapter 6!  I have officially memorized 32.3% of the Book of John.  When I first crunched the numbers I thought, "ooh hooray - only .7% and I'll be one-third through."  I figured I'd go memorize a quick verse to get there until I realized that .7 is actually FIVE more verses!  Anyway, we took a long car ride this week to visit family and I was excited to have multiple hours where the children were physically restrained in one place and I could concentrate.  Reading in the car makes me sick, so my husband was able to put Chaper 6 on his ipod so I could memorize it by ear, which was an interesting change of pace.  My thumb cramped up from constantly pushing the button to go backward.  I'm not kidding.  So this week I am going to take a break and go back for review.  I am always way too excited to make more "progress" and just keep plowing forward.  I neglect to spend the necessary time in review to maintain the previous chapters.  So I'm going to spend this week going over Chapters 1-6 and then continue reviewing a previous chapter each day as I progress through Chapter 7.

Some Thoughts:
The rest of Chapter 6 talks about Jesus being the Living Bread that comes down from heaven.  I continued reflecting on how Jesus is spiritual bread and those who come to Him will never go hungry.  It is just amazing how He meets our every need and leaves us wanting nothing.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him."  (6:44)  This whole idea poses so many theological questions and I know that I'll never be able to understand it all.  But what I do know is this:  I am so very, very thankful to be one of those that the Father chose to draw to Himself. 

"From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him."  (v.66)  This verse just made me sad.  

Not my best reciting of a chapter, but give me a break - it's 71 verses.








2 comments:

  1. Wow, your doing Great! God bless you!

    I was wondering what you were going to say when you got to 6:22-23. That was a head banger for me, but it seems you got it down without to much of a struggle. He,he! : )

    Your lessons are very inspiring and thank you for taking the time to write them out.
    Not only that, you, being a mother, and with all the responsibility's that go with it, having found the time to memorize the Book Of John is truly miraculous!
    I don't know if I could have memorized John if I was in your place.
    You a certainly a testimonial to the fact that, if you try and give God a chance to work, all things are possible.

    I hope I am not being overly dramatic, I seem to do that a lot.

    God Bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Project, you are just so awesome and I appreciate your kind words more than you know. Your own blog about your experience doing this has inspired me and it's nice to know that I've got supporters. Indeed, all things are possible when you give God a chance to work - because believe me... This is ALL Him, and not me! And I'm happy to serve Him with you.

      God Bless you too!

      Delete