Thursday, May 31, 2012

Week 7: Big Progress?

Day 47          Verses Memorized:  154          Working on:  John 4:43-54

The John Squad
(Please click here to chart your own progress!)


My Progress:
I had an extremely productive week banging out 34 verses of Jesus talking with the Samaritan woman.  For some reason, this was just an easy passage to pick up on.  The dialogue is still BRUTAL - It's so annoying to have everything right and then mess up on a 'said' or 'replied' or 'answered'.  I have about 11 more verses until Chapter 4 is finished.

Some Thoughts:
I wish I could say that my spiritual growth was as successful as my memory this week.  However, I am sad to report that this week's progress was a result of my brain and not my heart.  Apparently, if you don't spend a lot of time with the Lord, He doesn't speak with you as much.  I don't have any mind-blowing thoughts about this passage because I didn't take the time to sit with the Lord and ask Him to reveal things to me.  So yippy skippy 34 verses...  Big stinking deal.  I would've rather learned 1 verse and connected with my Savior on a deeper level than memorize 34 and feel disconnected from Him.  Shame on me.  That will not happen again.

1 comment:

  1. I think your doing great!

    You are going to be done far sooner than your 2 year goal if it keeps going like this.

    I know how it feels when it comes to the "she said and they said unto hims and therefore said they unto hims"
    I memorized John in the KJ version and I think that John purposely said things in a slightly different way so he wouldn't sound so repetitive; like slipping an extra word in, or rearranging it slightly, but it still can be maddening at times.

    I am still working on it and its getting easier.

    I wouldn't be to hard on yourself in the spiritual lesson part.
    There were times when I didn't get much out a chapter or a block of scripture till later on when I was reviewing it.
    In that very chapter your working on as a matter of fact. As I was reviewing, I just started weeping and had to take a short break.

    I don't know, maybe it was the love that Jesus showed to the woman without an ounce of condemnation or hint of prejudice, to the shock of his disciples.
    Maybe, but it was a heart changing experience for me.
    Sometimes lessons are not always in words but in shifts of attitude and seeing things differently.
    Like not looking at people as creatures of faults fueling our criticisms, but looking at them as souls to be won over for the kingdom of God.

    How is the rest of the crew doing?

    You guys are going to one of the first families in long time were everyone in the household can quote the Gospel of John.

    I feel a Gospel roadshow coming to town!

    ReplyDelete