Thursday, May 17, 2012

Week 5: Three Chapters Down

Day 33          Verses Memorized:  112            Working on:  Finalizing Chapter 3

The John Squad
(Please click here to chart your own progress!)

My Progress:
Well Chapter 3 sure got difficult at the end!  But I am happy to say that I have a strong handle on the entire chapter.  I will spend a few more days going over it to make sure it's solid before I move on to Chapter 4.  My overall progress has slowed down because I am using some of my memorizing time to go back and review the previous chapters.  This whole experience sure would be a waste of time if I got to the end and couldn't remember the beginning!  So I spend a little time each day reviewing Chapters 1 and 2. 

Some Thoughts:
  • I'm still struggling with Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus.  I wish I knew for sure what the whole water/spirit thing meant - and why He uses the pronoun "we".
  • 3:20  "Everyone who does evil hates the light."  That verse sure struck me because I am certainly one who does evil! 
  • John the Baptist is just so darn awesome.  He's gotta be one of the coolest people in the Bible, next to Jesus Himself, of course.  I truly love him and the disciple John (a major part of why we named our only son John).
  • How John the Baptist could be so humble and self-sacrificing is astonishing.  "He must become greater; I must become less" is a verse that we should all live by.
  • I love how John the Baptist mentions that the friend is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice.  It just reminded me of how he leaped in the womb when he heard Mary approaching.  I wonder if he had been told stories about that encounter.
  • Can't move on to Chapter 4 without mentioning the final verse.  "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."  YIKES!  I don't know about you, but I don't want any of God's wrath remaining on me!  I sort of wish this was the world's most famous verse - rather than 3:16.  Sure, He's a lovey-dovey God, but let's not forget about His wrath!



No comments:

Post a Comment