Thursday, February 7, 2013

Week 43: He Gave His Life

Day:  300          Verses Memorized:  832          Working On:  John 20:1-18
 
My Progress:
I finished Chapter 19 and am so excited to be at the last two Chapters of John!  The end of 19 went well and I've already got a good handle on the beginning of 20.  I can't believe I'm so close to the end.  Of course, as I keep saying, this will continue to be a work in progress.  I've been plowing through since Chapter 15 and haven't taken much time to go back and review previous chapters.  So when I "finish", I will definitely be spending significant time reviewing the entire book.  I will not let all this hard work slip out of my mind.  I know that there is life-long review in my future and I am happy that God not only called me to the challenge, but has equipped me for the task. 
 
 
Some Thoughts:
I had one of the most eye-opening realizations this week as I studied these verses.  Here it is:
 
Jesus gave His life for us.
 
Now, you may have heard that already.  I know I have certainly heard it many, many times.  But memorizing this chapter has transformed my understanding of the concept of Jesus "giving" His life for us.  I always thought that Jesus willingly went to the cross and allowed the soldiers to crucify Him, killing Him with a terrible death.  While the part about Jesus willingly going to the cross to be crucified is true, Jesus wasn't killed!  I always thought they nailed Him to the cross and He allowed the crucifixion to kill Him.  But this is not so!
 
"When he had received the drink, Jesus said, 'It is finished.'  With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."  (19:30)  Yes, I have heard these verses a trillion times.  It just goes to show you how being "familiar" with Scripture doesn't mean it automatically grants you understanding or impacts your life in any way. 
 
I always thought that Jesus simply allowed the crucifixion to kill Him.  But these verses clearly show that Jesus chose the exact moment when He was going to lay down His life.  Just a few short chapters ago, I memorized, "the reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life - only to take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again."  (10:17)  In fact, had I not memorized Chapter 10, I still might not have even made this connection.  Jesus had complete authority to choose the very moment that He would lay down His life, which obviously, was much earlier than most victims of crucifixion.  Everything was finished.  He had done everything.  He obeyed and completed every task that the Father had given Him.  And He bowed His head, and gave up His spirit.  Amazing.
 
So Jesus was not killed.  He didn't "allow people to kill Him".  He chose Himself to give up His own Spirit.
 
This was a big deal for me.  Maybe this is obvious to lots of people and I'm just spiritually immature, but it was such an incredible experience meditating on these verses this past week.  I was always thankful that Jesus willingly carried His cross up that hill.  But when I realized that Jesus didn't die because of physical injury and that He, in His power and authority, chose the very moment that He was going to lay down His life, I was awestruck.  Already in my mind, He was so amazing and mighty.  It's just incredible that He can continue to reveal Himself to me in new and different ways that make Him even more glorious. 
 
 Jesus gave His life for us.
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment