Thursday, March 29, 2012

How it All Began

It was 5:00am and I was running on the treadmill. I put on some Praise and Worship Music and the Lord began speaking to me. "Not now, God - I'm running," I thought. But thankfully, He didn't listen to me (and why should He?)
"Heidi," He lovingly said, "you spend all this time faithfully training your body. When are you going to get serious about making time for me?"

I'll be quite honest and admit that my initial thought was, "Lord, it's hard enough getting up this early to work out and now you're going to add spiritual conviction on top of that?" However, as I continued to plod on for a few miles and listen to the music that played sweetly in the background, I knew He was right. It was time for me to obey.

I don't know where the thought came from, but it certainly hit me hard and it was something that I instantly knew I needed to do. I needed to memorize the book of John. In those first moments, I felt a closeness to God - an intimacy with Him that I had been missing. ....Missing for a long time. His presence surrounding me was more real than the sound of my feet pounding on the treadmill. He was there. I spent the next several minutes thanking God for the challenge as well as for the desire and strength to do it.

Fifteen minutes later, I was in the shower. The beauty of 'the moment' had faded away and my mind was filled with the schedule of the day and all that I had to accomplish. Then, right there between the shampoo and conditioner, my second realization: "What on earth was I thinking?!" I rationalized and reasoned in an attempt to let myself off the hook. He couldn't really expect me to do that, could He? How on earth would I even begin doing such a thing? Who has that kind of time? Certainly not a mother of 4! ...Who just recently decided to start homeschooling!

Over the next few days, I couldn't get the idea out of my head. I calculated how many chapters and verses there are and tried to realistically think how much time it would take to accomplish such a monumental task. I realized that the task was indeed great. However, I also noticed that my motivation was great - giving me a sense that this desire was not coming from me, but was truly a divine inspiration from God.

"Yes, Lord, I will obey."